By John Parascandola and James C. Whorton (Eds.)
content material: advent / Aaron J. Ihde --
The highbrow foundation of specialization : geochemistry in the US, 1890-1915 / John W. Servos --
man made petroleum from high-pressure coal hydrogenation / Anthony N. Stranges --
From unit operations to unit tactics : ambiguities of good fortune and failure in chemical engineerinlg / Jean-Claude Guédon --
Will milk lead them to develop? An episode within the discovery of the supplementations / Stanley L. Becker --
Charles Holmes Herty and the hassle to set up an institute for drug learn in submit international struggle I the USA / John Parascandola --
Sulfanilamide and diethylene glycol / James Harvey younger --
The institution of artificial foodstuff colour rules within the usa, 1906-1912 / Sheldon Hochheiser--
The uric acid fetish : chemistry and deviant dietetics / James C. Whorton --
Chemical struggle examine in the course of international struggle I : a version of cooperative learn / Daniel P. Jones.
Read or Download Chemistry and Modern Society. Historical Essays in Honor of Aaron J. Ihde PDF
Best essays books
The interior observe on scientific university admissions.
Gaining admission to a best clinical tuition calls for greater than "just" a stellar MCAT rating and a very good GPA. You'll additionally have to nail your individual assertion. during this booklet, you’ll locate the assistance you must just do that:
• forty five genuine essays from destiny medical professionals, besides every one applicant’s MCAT ratings, GPA, and admissions profile
• an summary of med college admissions and fiscal relief, together with a breakdown of the “anatomy” of the appliance
• Interviews with admissions officials who've learn hundreds of thousands of software essays
This 5th version of scientific tuition Essays That Made a distinction contains software essays from scholars who enrolled on the following schools:
Cornell collage, Joan and Sanford I. Weill scientific College
Georgetown college, institution of Medicine
Johns Hopkins college, university of Medicine
New York college, NYU college of Medicine
Temple collage, university of Medicine
Tulane college, tuition of Medicine
University of Virginia, college of Medicine
University of Wisconsin—Madison, university of drugs and Public Health
Yale college, college of drugs
An grand choice of essays from the daddy of movie criticism.
Perhaps the only most vital voice of cinema within the 20th century, André Bazin profoundly stimulated the improvement of the scholarship that we all know now as movie feedback. Bazin has acutely analyzed the cinematic values of our time, extending to his overseas audiences “the influence of paintings for the certainty and discrimination of his readers. ”
The intensity and good judgment of his observation has increased movie feedback to new heights. The attractiveness of André Bazin maintains to develop as his writings are released and studied by means of filmmakers and filmgoers alike. sometimes called the Edmund Wilson of movie, Bazin used to be greater than a critic. “He made me see sure features of my paintings that i used to be unaware of,” stated Luis Buñuel. “He was once our conscience,” wrote Jean Renoir. “He was once a philosopher in action,” echoed François Truffaut.
In The Cinema of Cruelty, François Truffaut, considered one of France’s so much celebrated and flexible filmmakers, has accrued Bazin’s writings on six movie “greats”: Erich von Stroheim, Carl Dreyer, Preston Sturges, Luis Buñuel, Alfred Hitchcock, and Akira Kurosawa. the result's an enormous number of movie feedback.
Beat iteration nice Jack Kerouac traverses the large panorama of yankee counterculture during this raucous and insightful collection
In those accrued articles, essays, and wild autobiographical stories, Jack Kerouac, writer of at the highway, leads readers down the highways and during the myriad subcultures of mid-twentieth-century the United States, guiding them with his creative observations and awesome command of language. He cruises to San Francisco excessive on Benzedrine with a barefoot blond version in a white bathing go well with; traipses from long island to Florida with photographer Robert Frank and a $300 German digicam; takes a bus journey alongside the sting of a precipice in Montana; and revels within the swampy blues of an previous Southern bum at a Des Moines diner.
On a trip of the brain, Kerouac classes in the course of the philosophy, origins, and desires of the Beats, these “crazy illuminated hipsters” of post-war the US; describes his concept of experimental prose with the “Essentials of Spontaneous Writing”; and provides a journey of the San Francisco Renaissance, stating the hot American poets who're “childlike graybeard Homers making a song in the street. ” This sweeping portrait of the artwork, sounds, and other people of a kingdom in transition might merely learn with Kerouac’s inimitable knowledge and beauty.
For his first booklet, The Know-It-All, A. J. Jacobs learn the complete Encyclopædia Britannica from hide to hide in a quest to benefit every thing on the earth. within the 12 months of dwelling Biblically, he each rule of the Bible -- from the 10 Commandments correct on right down to stoning adulterers. Now comes a suite of his such a lot hilarious and thought-provoking experiments but.
- Logical Foundations: Essays in Honor of D. J. O’Connor
- Secularisation in the Christian World: Essays in Honour of Hugh McLeod
- A Sensitive Liberal's Guide to Life
- Gender Outlaws: The Next Generation
- Parerga and Paralipomena: Short Philosophical Essays, Volume 2
- Essays on the Economic History of the Argentine Republic
Additional resources for Chemistry and Modern Society. Historical Essays in Honor of Aaron J. Ihde
At that time the only i n d u s t r i a l s i z e , high-pressure apparatus i n use was a t the Badische A n i l i n und Soda-Fabrik s s y n t h e t i c ammonia p l a n t i n Ludwigshafen-Oppau. Bergius planned to c o n s t r u c t i n Essen i n d u s t r i a l - s i z e apparatus f o r the more d i f f i c u l t hydrogénation of a s o l i d coal with hydrogen gas. He intended to make the e n t i r e o p e r a t i o n — t h e feeding, mixing, r e a c t i o n , and removal of p r o d u c t s — a continuous process.
24) T h i s was more than double the p r i c e of imported g a s o l i n e , but f o r Germany, w i t h only a l i m i t e d supply of n a t u r a l petroleum, no a l t e r n a t i v e remained during the War other than the c o n s t r u c t i o n of s y n t h e t i c petroleum plants. In t h i s way Germany u t i l i z e d h e r n a t u r a l l y abundant s u p p l i e s of bituminous and brown c o a l . ch002 The German Energy P l a n and I t s R e s u l t s Germany's s y n t h e t i c f u e l i n d u s t r y never could have developed without the government's support.
54. 55. 56. 57. 58. 59. 60. 61. 62. 63. 64. CHEMISTRY A N D MODERN SOCIETY Knopf, Adolph. Biogr. Mem. N. A. S. 1960, 34, 228-248. Birch, Francis. Biogr. Mem. N. A. S. 1960, 34, 30-64. Dennis, L. M. Biogr. Mem. N. A. S. 1934, 15, 139-165. Iddings. Joseph Paxton. Bull. Phil. Soc. Wash. 1888-1891, 11, 65-114. Ref. 16, pp. 154-156. Iddings, Joseph Paxton. Bull. Phil. Soc. Wash. 1888-1891, 11, 191-220, esp. 212-213 and 217. Ref. 16, pp. 158-160. Ref. 16, p. 194. Chamberlin, T. C. Journ. Geol. 1918, 26, 690-697.
Chemistry and Modern Society. Historical Essays in Honor of Aaron J. Ihde by John Parascandola and James C. Whorton (Eds.)